Smoked Sausage Stew
Bring home the flavors of the bayou with Smoked Sausage Stew. This saucy skillet dinner is served over rice and serves a crowd.
Servings: 8 people
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 13 ounces smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 green peppers, diced small
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 14.5 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Saute smoked sausage, peppers and onions until vegetables are soft, approximately 5 minutes.
Add tomato paste and minced garlic, stir for 30 minutes.
Add broth, undrained diced tomatoes and lima beans.
Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until the lima beans are tender and the sauce is thick, approximately 15-20 minutes.
Add hot sauce to taste, if desired. Serve over cooked rice.
- Frozen okra could be substituted for frozen lima beans.
- Use whatever type of smoked sausage you prefer including turkey, polish, kielbasa. The sky is the limit.
- The amounts of most of these ingredients can be varied if you are trying to use up what's in the fridge. That's the best part of making a stew---you can't really screw it up.
- Serve this kielbasa stew over cooked rice. I love making brown rice as a healthy alternative to white.
- If you like your bayou stew hot, add hot sauce to taste.
- Looking for more smoked sausage recipes? Try Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Potato Casserole and Smoked Sausage and Cabbage Skillet.
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 843mg | Potassium: 698mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 572IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 3mg