Double Chocolate Banana Bran Muffins
Whether you are looking for breakfast, dessert or a snack, Double Chocolate Banana Bran Muffins will check the box. Made with All-Bran cereal and mashed bananas, you don't have to feel guilty this double dose of chocolate.
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all bran cereal
- 1 cup banana, mashed
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon flour
Combine buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla; add all-bran and let sit for 5-10 minutes to soften. Add mashed banana.
In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients including flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir until mixed completely.
Mix chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon flour; stir into the batter.
Line muffin tin with liners; fill each cup 2/3 full of batter.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- You might as well call these Death By Chocolate Banana Muffins. The double chocolate comes from cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
- To prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the all bran banana muffin, coat them in flour before stirring into the batter.
- Substitute in bran flakes for all bran if desired. If you do this, you wouldn't need to necessarily soak the flakes in the milk mixture.
- Soaking the all bran in buttermilk and oil prevents a crunchy, undesirable texture in the finished product.
- For more texture, leave the banana in larger chunks, or for a smooth textured-muffin, mash the banana completely and stir into the wet ingredients until it's a smooth mixture.
- Try our Classic Banana Bread recipe!
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 253mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 146IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg