Who says that gingerbread is just for Christmas? Gingerbread Waffles have all your favorite gingerbread flavors---ground cinnamon, ginger, cloves and molasses, and can be served up all year long for a family-pleasing breakfast.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 1/3 teaspoons shortening, melted
Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
Beat eggs until light and airy; add sugar, molasses and buttermilk and mix until smooth.
Slowly add in dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until fully mixed. Pour in melted shortening, and mix until smooth.
Bake in a preheated waffle iron; follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Serve drizzled with honey and whipped cream, if desired.
- Molasses, ground ginger, cinnamon and clove are the distinct flavors of these yummy gingerbread waffles.
- Be sure to follow the instructions for you waffle iron.
- I typically spray my waffle iron in between waffles with nonstick cooking spray.
- Try using Crisco sticks for this recipe. I often use butter flavored Crisco sticks.
- Don't have any buttermilk for these easy gingerbread waffles? Fill the measuring cup to almost 1 cup, and then top it off with lemon juice or vinegar (about 1 -2 teaspoons). This will magically and quickly make buttermilk. No extra trip to the grocery required.
- Use a whipped cream canister and top with homemade whipped cream and honey for a special treat.
- My family loves waffles. My go to recipe are these Basic Waffles, and we also like Pumpkin waffles during the fall.
Calories: 438kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 532mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 5mg