Tuscan Soup with Kale and Sausage
Tuscan Soup with Kale and Sausage is hearty soup that can be served up in thirty minutes. This recipe features pork sausage, cannellini beans, and kale with a creamy broth made with a combination of chicken broth and evaporated milk.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 - 2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 14.5 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ground pork sausage
- 15.5 ounces cannellini beans, undrained
- salt and pepper, to taste
Brown ground pork sausage, drain excess grease. Set pork aside.
In large saucepan or soup pot, heat butter over medium low heat; add onions and kale. Saute until onions are soft and kale is wilted to your desired preference.
Add minced garlic, and cook for 1 minute longer.
Stir in flour, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Slowly stir in evaporated milk and chicken broth while stirring constantly.
Once the mixture comes to a boil, add sausage and undrained beans.
Heat through and season generously with salt and black pepper.
- This is a spin-off of Tuscan White Bean Soup.
- Can't find cannellini beans? Use great northern beans instead.
- Swap olive oil for butter if desired.
- People have different preferences on how cooked down they like their kale. Do as you wish. Wilt it longer or shorter. It's delicious either way.
- Pork sausage can be switched out for hot sausage or any other type of sausage.
- Try keeping a little bit of the pork grease to add more flavor.
- Salt and pepper are important. Taste at the end and season as needed.
- Try our low carb version.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 636mg | Potassium: 842mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3747IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 268mg | Iron: 4mg