Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy Skillet Macaroni and Cheese is the perfect side dish. This one pan dish comes together quickly, is made with ingredients already in your pantry, and will have your kids begging for seconds.
Servings: 8 people
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and saute until tender.
Stir in flour, salt and dried oregano; add macaroni and milk.
Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove lid and reduce heat to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Add cheese, and stir until completely melted. Do not bring back to a boil.
- This is a stove top mac and cheese recipe. If you are looking for an amazing baked version, try our Buttermilk Mac and Cheese.
- You can use whatever type of cheddar cheese you prefer. We used the sharp version, and it was fantastic. We do recommend shredding your own as opposed to buying the pre-shredded bagged version, but if you don't have time, don't sweat it.
- Don't have dried oregano on hand? Leave it out. It is optional; however, it gives it a great flavor if you use it.
- Use whatever type milk you have on hand. We used skim milk but 2% or whole milk would both work too.
- The time that it takes to cook is anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes depending on how high you have your stove top turned up. The main thing is to keep watching it and stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick. It's done when most of the liquid has been absorbed and the macaroni is tender and cooked through. If the sauce is almost absorbed, but the pasta isn't cooked completely, add a little bit of additional milk to the pan.
- This could be converted to a full meal, so consider making skillet mac and cheese with chicken or skillet mac and cheese with smoked sausage or skillet mac and cheese with ham. All you need to do is all a cooked protein to the mixture when you add the cheese.
- You could easily make this mac and cheese in the electric skillet, and you can add it to your camping meal plan!