Quick and Easy Pizza Buns
Some nights, you need a no-fuss dinner that comes together in a pinch. Quick and Easy Pizza Buns can be made in a matter of minutes or can be made ahead and put in the oven frozen. Either way, you'll be thankful for these kid-friendly pizza burgers.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef or ground pork sausage (one or the other)
- 14 ounces pizza sauce
- 3 kaiser buns, split (or 4 hamburger buns)
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- dried oregano, optional
How to Prepare Pizza Buns
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Brown sausage or ground beef; drain excess grease, if needed.
Add pizza sauce and warm in the skillet.
Split buns, and arrange on a cooking sheet or broiler pan with the cut-side facing up.
Spoon pizza sauce mixture over each bun; top with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
Bake in preheated oven until the cheese is melted, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with ground oregano, if desired.
How to freeze and prepare pizza buns:
Follow the instructions above; let the pizza buns cool completely.
Wrap each bun individually in foil; put buns in an air-tight resealable bag. Freeze flat.
To reheat: cook frozen pizza burger in a preheated 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until hot in the center.
- These pizza burgers are great with either ground beef or ground pork sausage; use your favorite one.
- Drain any excess grease from the browning process, if desired.
- Feel free to add more of your favorite pizza burger ingredients including pepperoni or black olives.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese can be substituted for mozzarella slices.
- I used Kaiser buns, and it perfectly makes 6 open faced pizza buns. If you use regular-sized hamburger buns, you should get 8 open faced pizza burgers.
- If you feel like going above and beyond, butter the buns and broil so that they get lightly golden brown before topping with the pizza sauce.
- I love to top my finished pizza buns with dried oregano or red pepper flakes. This is optional but tasty.
- Love pizza? Try our Pizza Pasta Casserole.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 682mg | Potassium: 472mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 478IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 3mg