Instant Pot Authentic Beef Barbacoa
Instant Pot Authentic Beef Barbacoa is a simple, no fuss shredded beef taco recipe. A blend of spices gets rubbed into a beef chuck, and then pressure cooked for a tender-fall apart meal that can be served in tortillas or over rice.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 3-4 Tablespoons water
- 4-5 pound beef roast (chuck)
Mix together cumin, paprika, sea salt, chili powder, garlic powder and oregano.
Add enough water to make a thick paste, approximately 3 to 4 tablespoons.
Cut meat into large chunk approximately 3 inches long.
Spread paste over all sides of the beef, rubbing it into the meat as you go.
Add beef to instant pot; pour 1 cup water around the beef. Cover and seal.
Cook on high pressure for 75 to 90 minutes; release pressure using the quick release method.
Shred and eat in tortillas, on a salad or over rice.
- I prefer to use a beef chuck roast due to the nice amount of fat. This makes for a tender beef barbacoa taco.
- Cut the beef roast into large 3-inch cubes.
- A simple blend of spices are used for the barbacoa seasoning including ground cumin, chili powder, paprika. garlic powder, sea salt and dried oregano.
- Cook on high pressure for 75 to 90 minutes, according to the manufacturer's instructions for your pressure cooker. 75 minutes is the minimum, but cook it for 90 minutes if you've got the time.
- Don't forget to factor in about 20 minutes for the pressure cooker to come up to pressure. This is in addition to the cooking time.
- Use the quick pressure release method.
- I used an Instant Pot.
- Try our other Pressure Cooker Shredded Beef Taco Recipe too.
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 59g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 209mg | Sodium: 1435mg | Potassium: 1119mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1049IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 8mg