Baked Apple Surprise
Baked Apple Surprise is an old fashioned apple cake recipe. The ingredients are easy, and it's baked in a pie pan making it a quick dessert or breakfast to get on the table. Plus, your kitchen will have the aroma of fall with hints of apple and cinnamon.
Servings: 6 people
- 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
Sift flour, baking powder, and cinnamon; add brown sugar and salt and stir to combine.
Add eggs and vanilla to dry ingredients and mix well; stir in diced apples and chopped nuts.
Pour into a 9 inch pie pan that has been greased very well.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm or room temperature, with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Baked apple surprise is essentially a quick apple cake recipe that's baked in a pie dish. It's super fast to toss together and absolutely delicious.
- This easy apple cake calls for cake flour, but in a bind, use all purpose. It may just be a little more dense. What is cake flour? Cake flour is a type of flour that has a higher amount of protein. It has a finer, softer, more delicate texture. When used in baked goods, it results in a more tender texture which makes it great for cakes.
- Don't have a sifter? Use a mesh sieve and shake the dry ingredients through it. This is another step that can be omitted. The cake will be more dense but still yummy.
- For this easy apple cake recipe, I used Granny Smith apples, but you can use whatever you have on hand. That's what Grandma would do. Wash, peel and dice the apple.
- This baked apple surprise recipe calls for chopped nuts, and we recommend using pecans or walnuts. These could also be omitted.
- The batter for this baked apple surprise is very thick and sticky.
- Looking for more apple recipes? Try Grandma's Easy Apple Crisp, Sour Cream Apple Squares, Apple Crisp Crock Pot Pork Chops.
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 332mg | Potassium: 167mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 99IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 1mg