Rice Krispies Scotcheroos - Chocolate Scotcheroo Bars
Rice Krispies Scotcheroos are a no bake, 2 layered treat that is a favorite of all families. The bottom bar layer is a cookie made with sugar, corn syrup, peanut butter and Rice Krispies while the top layer is a combination of melted chocolate and butterscotch chips. With the help of the microwave, this entire recipe can be completed in 10 minutes or less!
Servings: 24 cookies
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
In a microwave-safe bowl, cook corn syrup, sugar and peanut butter for 5 minutes, stirring twice, around the 2 minute and 4 minute marks.
Stir in Rice Krispies; spread into a 9 x 13 inch pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, and press down with your hands to distribute into an even layer.
In a second microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butterscotch chips. Be sure to stir every 30 seconds to prevent the chips from burning. Once the chips begin to melt, stir until smooth.
Pour over Rice Krispies layer and spread into an even layer. Let sit until the chocolate hardens. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- This version is a microwave scotcheroos recipe. Cook the corn syrup, sugar and peanut butter in the microwave on high for 5 minutes. Be sure to stop and whisk the mixture twice during the 5 minute time frame. It will be bubbly, thick and sticky.
- Work quickly once you stir in the Rice Krispies into the peanut butter sauce because it sets up quickly. Use your hands to push the mixture evenly into the pan.
- When you melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together, be sure to stir them every 30 seconds. Believe me, it is very easy to burn chocolate chips in the microwave. I know from personal experience.
- The best way to spread the chocolate mixture is with an offset spatula like this one.
- If you spray the 9 x 13 inch pan, the entire cookie will come out in one piece, and then you can cut the on a cutting board into individual pieces.
- We love no bake desserts like Caramel Puff Corn, Grandma's Cherry Fluff, Grandma's Pumpkin Chiffon Pie, Old Fashioned Fruit Salad, Grandma's Three Layer Chocolate Squares, and Cream Cheese Mints.
Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 473IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 2mg