Mom's Oven Baked Pork Ribs
Mom's Oven Baked Pork Rib follows a parboil and bake technique that results in a quick, tender barbecued pork rib. I recommend serving over rice to absorb the finger-licking good sauce.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 pounds pork spare ribs
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
Cut pork spareribs into serving size pieces---1 or 2 ribs each.
Precook the ribs by parboiling in gently boiling water until tender, approximately 25 minutes; drain the water.
Place the ribs in a shallow baking dish; top with sliced onions.
Combine the remaining ingredients, and pour over pork ribs.
Bake at 350 degrees F until brown, approximately 30 minutes. Baste occasionally. If desired, turn ribs half way through baking to brown the other side.
- What is a pork spare rib? This cut of meat is also known as a St. Louis style rib. They tend to be small in size than a baby back rib. The ribs have meat in between each bone, and on the top of the bone.
- Mom's Oven Baked Pork Ribs include a parboil step. What is parboiling? It is when you partially cook a food in gently boiling water. Don't use a hard boil or you could toughen the meat.
- Be sure to bake uncovered. This allows the ribs to get a nice brown color. You'll want to watch the ribs so they don't get too dark.
- I recommend basting the ribs several times. What is basting? It means to pour the juices over the meat during backing to keep it moist and flavorful. I like to turn my barbecued pork ribs over half way through cooking so that the other side gets browned too.
- If you desire a sticky barbecued pork rib, right before serving, remove the ribs from the sauce and broil for a couple extra minutes.
- The sauce is finger-licking good. Don't waste it! Serve the oven barbecued pork ribs over rice. It will absorb the yummy flavors.
- We've converted Mom's Oven Baked Pork Ribs to an instant pot recipe. Check it out!
Calories: 1402kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 71g | Fat: 106g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Cholesterol: 363mg | Sodium: 978mg | Potassium: 1387mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 308IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 5mg