Easy Homemade Brownies
Chocolate Fudge Brownies from scratch are a cinch to make. These Easy Homemade Brownies without a box use a handful of pantry staples to make a chewy brownie that rivals any box mix.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
With a mixer, cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth using medium speed.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder.
Add dry ingredients in 3 additions to the wet ingredient, mixing until just combined on low speed.
If adding nuts, stir in until just mixed.
Pour into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Easy homemade brownies are just as easy as making box brownies.
- You most likely already have the ingredients at home - flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, eggs, shortening, and vanilla.
- You can make these in an 8 x 8 inch pan instead of a 9 x 9 inch if that's what you have. The baking time can increase up to 5 minutes with this change.
- Love a chocolate fudge brownie? This recipe is just that!
- Chopped nuts are optional. Stir in the 1/2 cup right before pouring into a pan.
- When Grandma made brownies from scratch, she always greased her pans with shortening. Feel free to use a short cut by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prefer to make a bigger pan of brownies? Try Grandma's Homemade Brownie recipe.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 94mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 40IU | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg