Easy Reuben Casserole
This easy Reuben casserole features all the classic ingredients of a Reuben sandwich---sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing, Swiss cheese, pastrami, and rye bread in the form of a hearty casserole that comes together start to finish in 30 minutes or less.
- 1 pound can sauerkraut, drained
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1-2 cups pastrami, cubed
- 4 slices Rye bread, cubed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Put drained sauerkraut loosely in a 10 inch dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle half the cheese over top. Layer dressing, pastrami and remaining cheese.
Toss the bread cubes with the melted butter and dried parsley.
Sprinkle over top the casserole.
Bake for 10 minutes covered with foil.
Remove foil, and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is slightly toasted.
- If someone in your family has unhappy feelings about Rye bread, try swapping for Sourdough.
- The original recipe for Reuben Casserole calls for Monterrey Jack cheese. Feel free to swap it back in for Swiss cheese.
- Swap out margarine for butter if that's all you have.
- I love shredding my own blocks of cheese using a food processor with a grater blade. The cheese melts much better than the pre-shredded variety; but in a pinch, the bagged kind will work just fine.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 872mg | Potassium: 195mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 686IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 332mg | Iron: 2mg