Italian Green Bean Salad
Italian Green Bean Salad is a cold salad featuring thin style green beans, tomatoes and onions tossed in a tasty vinaigrette. A healthy sprinkling of Parmesan cheese takes this salad from good to great. Serve along side grilled chicken for the perfect meal.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound fresh or frozen thin (French Style) green beans
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- dash black pepper
Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to boil. (1/2 teaspoon salt for every cup water).
Add green beans and cook until tender but not completely soft, approximately 5 minutes.
Prepare vinaigrette by mixing together oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, mustard and pepper.
Add cooked beans directly to dressing while still warm. Toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 45 minutes.
Just before serving, gently mix in tomato wedges and onion slices. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- You could use regular green beans (not thin). If you do so, you will have to cook them longer until tender, and you'll want to snap off the ends first.
- An easy swap for Italian Green Bean Salad would be to use white wine vinegar instead of red and Dijon mustard instead of regular yellow mustard.
- This marinated green bean salad gets tastier as it sits in the fridge. Be sure to toss in the tomatoes and onions and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese right before serving.
- You may want to toss the green beans a few times in the marinade while it sits in the fridge.
- This is much tastier in the summer when tomatoes are ripe.
- Do you love summer salads as much as we do? Try Asparagus Corn Salad, Red Bean Salad, Crunchy Ranch Pea Salad, and Cauliflower Ranch Layered Salad.