Frosted Zucchini Bars with Chocolate Chips
Frosted Zucchini Bars with Chocolate Chips are perfect dessert to use up summer zucchini. This delectable dessert features a tasty cream cheese icing, a moist texture and a rich chocolate chip flavor. Plus, it feeds a crowd!
Servings: 16 people
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 3/4 cup chocolate chip
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 stick margarine, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Beat eggs; add sugar, and then oil, beating well.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; add to the egg mixture and mix until just incorporated
Stir in vanilla, grated zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts.
Pour into a greased 15 x 17 inch jelly roll pan.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake.
Beat together softened margarine, room temperature cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth.
Cool the bars completely before frosting.
- These moist zucchini bars will feed a crowd. They are prepared in a jelly roll pan. You can easily transport these to a pitch-in by covering with the lid.
- There's no need to squeeze the excess liquid from the zucchini for this chocolate chip zucchini bar recipe.
- Be sure to properly grease the jelly roll pan with shortening so that the bars come out of the pan easily.
- The original recipe stated that you could substitute raisins for the chocolate chips for a new spin.
- Do not over-bake these chocolate chip zucchini bars; you don't want a dry texture. Check them with a toothpick in the center of the pan.
- For the cream cheese frosting, be sure the margarine is softened and the cream cheese is at room temperature.
- Love zucchini in your desserts? Try our Butterscotch Zucchini Cake and Zucchini Pie recipes.