Kentucky Southern Squash Casserole
Kentucky Southern Squash Casserole is the perfect way to turn those yellow squash into a family friendly side dish. Starring butter crackers and cheese, it's the perfect combination of flavor and texture. This recipe will soon become a summer staple.
Servings: 6 people
- 4 cups yellow squash
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 sleeve butter crackers, crushed
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart or 9x9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Dice yellow squash into 1 inch pieces. Add to a skillet and add water to just cover squash.
Bring to a boil, and cook until fork tender; drain.
Return the cooked squash to the skillet, and add the remaining ingredients, starting with the butter allowing it to melt from the heat of the squash. Stir to combine.
Pour into the prepared dish. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Vegetable casseroles are a huge hit in my family. My kids love 4 Ingredient Cheesy Broccoli Casserole, Cheesy Zucchini Casserole, Old Fashioned Cabbage Casserole and Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole.
- Boil the diced yellow squash in a large skillet in shallow water for a quick method of cooking.
- This cheesy yellow squash casserole can all be prepped in one pan. Use a skillet to boil the squash, drain, and then add it back to the same skillet to mix the rest of the ingredients. No need to dirty a bunch of dishes.
- If you are adding the squash back to the same skillet, the residual heat should be enough to melt the butter. If not, go ahead and melt the butter before adding it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Don't have yellow squash, try swapping in zucchini for a new spin on this easy squash casserole.
- The cheese for this cheesy yellow squash casserole comes in the form of shredded cheddar cheese. The easy part is that you could use Colby, or american cheese if that's what you have. Shred a block of cheese yourself or buy the pre-shredded variety.
Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 866mg | Potassium: 267mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 446IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 168mg | Iron: 1mg