Mom's Cucumbers and Onions
Mom's Cucumber and Onions is an old fashioned recipe featuring garden vegetables. The ingredients are simple--cucumbers, onions, salt, vinegar, sugar, celery seed and black pepper, but the finished result is the perfect accompaniment to any summer meal.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4-6 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
Add peeled and sliced cucumbers and onions to a bowl; sprinkle with salt.
Cover mixture with water and stir; let sit for approximately for 20 - 30 minutes (up to 1 hour).
Drain the water. Add vinegar, sugar, celery seed and black pepper; stir.
Allow to marinate before eating. These will get better as they sit in the refrigerator.
- This is truly an old fashioned cucumber and onion salad in vinegar. You would find this on countless tables during the summer along side a full meal.
- The exact measurements of cucumbers and onions are truly varied. Most Moms and Grandma's added a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
- If you like a tangier cucumber and onion salad, reduce the sugar.
- Cucumber and onion salad gets better as it sits in the refrigerate because it be comes pickled cucumbers and onions.
- Some versions include the addition of approximately 1/2 cup water to the vinegar and sugar. If you feel inclined to add water, go for it.
- Keep adding to the bowl with additional cucumbers and onions as you pick them from the garden. You may have to keep adding the rest of the ingredients little by little too.
- Salting the cucumbers and onions helps remove excess water. Many versions of cucumbers and onions in vinegar skip this step, but it's one that my mom always did, and so do I.
- Looking for some more recipes to use up garden bounty? Try Kentucky Southern Squash Casserole, Sweet and Sour Coleslaw, Fresh Broccoli Casserole, Peach Batter Cake or this whole post on Garden Fresh Veggie Recipes.