Easy Rice Pilaf with Peas
Easy Rice Pilaf with Peas is an easy side dish to complement your regular dinner menu. The recipe consists of five simple ingredients--white rice, broth, butter, onions and peas. This is an easy way to add some vegetable to your kids diet without complaints.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced or chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (NOT instant)
- 2 cups chicken broth, boiling
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 Tablespoon butter (additional)
In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 Tablespoon butter until onions are soft but not brown, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
Add uncooked white rice, and cook on low heat for five minutes, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, heat chicken broth until boiling; add to the rice.
Lower heat to the lowest setting, and cover. Cook for approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook peas according to package instructions; do not over cook.
Once rice has finished cooking, add additional 1 Tablespoon butter and drained peas; fluff with a fork.
- Be sure to use uncooked white rice for this recipe. Do not use the instant white rice either.
- Only cook the onions until softened, not browned.
- During step two, you are only lightly toasting the rice in the butter and onion mixture; stir it frequently.
- The amount of peas in vegetable rice pilaf can be adjusted depending on what you have. I cooked my peas according to the package instructions in the microwave.
- I love how versatile this easy rice pilaf recipe is. If you don't love peas, swap in something else, or use up leftover vegetables that you already have cooked in the refrigerator.
- Rice casseroles are great side dishes. French Onion Rice Casserole is another of our favorites!