Fresh Broccoli Casserole with 4 Ingredients
Are you looking for the best ever broccoli casserole recipe? This fresh broccoli casserole with 4 ingredients is cheesy, buttery, crunchy and perfect. Fresh broccoli, butter, Ritz crackers and American cheese combine for a family-pleasing side dish.
- 4-6 cups fresh broccoli
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 pound velveeta or cheese melt
- 1 sleeve butter crackers (Ritz)
Steam broccoli until just barely fork tender (do not over cook); drain.
Return drained broccoli to the warm pan; add 2 Tablespoons butter and Velveeta. Cover with the lid but do not turn heat back on. The warmth of the pan will soften the cheese and butter. After 5 minutes, remove lid and stir until melted and blended.
Pour into a greased 2 quart or 9x9 inch baking dish.
Cover with crushed butter crackers.
Melt remaining 6 Tablespoons of butter. Pour over buttered crackers on casserole.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- This recipe for cheesy broccoli casserole involves a 2 step cooking process; first you steam the broccoli, and later on you bake in the oven. For that reason, I recommend steaming the broccoli until barely tender in the first step. This will prevent your broccoli from becoming too mushy later on.
- Fresh broccoli casserole recipe obviously calls for fresh broccoli, but if you could go ahead and sub in frozen broccoli. Cook according to package instructions, and drain well.
- Cheesy broccoli casserole calls for American cheese in the original recipe. I always use Velveeta or generic cheese melt when a recipe calls for American cheese.
- This recipe calls for 1/4 pound American cheese. Most blocks of Velveeta or cheese melt are 2 pounds. To measure out 1/4 pound, do as follows:
- With a knife, cut the block into half. Each half would be 1 pound.
- Take one half, and cut in half again. Each piece is 1/2 pound. This is what the recipe calls for.