Grandma's Rhubarb Pie
Looking for a way to use up that spring rhubarb? This rhubarb pie comes straight from our Grandma's recipe box. It's the perfect amount of sweetness between a two pie crusts, and the filling is only 5 ingredients.
- 2 cups rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 pie crusts
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Wash rhubarb stalks. Cut into approximately 3/4 inch chunks. Or start with frozen rhubarb.
Add flour and sugar to rhubarb and mix.
In a separate bowl, add egg and vanilla and whisk with a fork.
Combine the 2 mixtures.
Line a pie pan with a prepared pie crust. Add rhubarb filling.
Arrange a top pie crust over the top. Seal the crust by pinching or rolling as desired.
Cook for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Cook for an additional 45 minutes.
Let the pie rest for about an hour before cutting.
- This can be a fresh rhubarb pie or a frozen rhubarb pie. We make it both ways.
- The filling may be pink or green just depending on the variety of rhubarb you use.
- You'll need two pie crusts. Either buy some pre-made from the refrigerated section, or make your own. If you use a refrigerated crust, follow the directions on the package. Most say to remove from the refrigerator prior to using.
- This recipe calls for two cups of rhubarb. Be sure this is only the stalks. Wash the stalks to remove the dirt. Cut into small chunks, approximately 3/4 inch. If there's woody ends, you can peel them off.
- The recipe follows a two-step cooking process. The first 15 minutes is at 425 degrees F, then turn down the oven and cook at 350 degrees F for an additional 45 minutes.
- The filling may seep out the top. This is ok! It tastes great anyways. You may want to place the pie pan on a flat cookie sheet in case the filling bubbles over.
- It is best if you allow the pie to rest for an hour before cutting. This lets the filling cool and set up. If you don't do this, the filling will ooze out when you cut it.
- Try our Rhubarb Spoon Cake Recipe.
Calories: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 183mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 61IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg