Ground Beef Spaghetti Pie - Easy Spaghetti Pie with Cottage Cheese
This family-pleasing Spaghetti Pie recipe features ground beef and staple pantries such as stewed tomatoes, tomato paste and spaghetti for the ultimate dinner. Interested in doing some freezer meals? Assemble this spaghetti pie, cover with foil and put in the freezer for easy weeknight meal prep.
- 16 oz. spaghetti
- 4 Tablespoons butter (or margarine), melted
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups cottage cheese (or ricotta)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 14.5 oz. stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 12 oz. tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain, and let cool slightly. Stir in butter, Parmesan cheese and eggs.
Spoon into 2 9-in pie pans that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. (half of the spaghetti in each of the pies). Press the spaghetti down to form a crust.
Spoon cottage cheese over spaghetti noodles (1 cup per pie).
Meanwhile, brown ground beef and chopped onions in a skillet. Season to taste with salt and black pepper; drain excess grease if needed.
To the ground beef, add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, and garlic salt. Stir until mixed well.
Spoon over cottage cheese mixture (half of ground beef mixture per pie.)
Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- This recipe makes 2 spaghetti pies. You can easily halve this recipe if only one pie is desired.
- If you only need one pie for dinner, wrap up the second one in aluminum foil, and then put in a large zip lock bag. Freeze for up to a month. To cook, thaw completely in the refrigerator and cook according to recipe instructions.
- You can modify this recipe by adding mushrooms and/or chopped green peppers. Yum!
- We used cottage cheese, but you could use ricotta instead. (Just like lasagna.)
- For our version, we bought a block of mozzarella cheese and grated it on a box shredder. But you could buy the pre-shredded cheese.
- Looking for a leaner pie, try using ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Do not drain the stewed tomatoes!
- Be sure to properly season the ground beef as it cooks. Salt and black pepper are important.
- Have kids who love ground beef? Try Cheeseburger Quiche and Classic Sloppy Joes.
Calories: 510kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 876mg | Potassium: 733mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 848IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 4mg