Maryann's Sweet Cornbread
Maryann's Sweet Cornbread is quick to put together and a perfect side dish to go with your favorite chili or soup.
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces creamed corn (1 cup)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a mixing bowl, combine Bisquick, baking soda, cornmeal and sugar. Add melted butter and buttermilk and stir. Then add the eggs and corn. Mix until smooth.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If it starts to brown too much, cover loosely with foil half way through.
- This recipe calls for buttermilk and we never seem to have this on hand. Instead, we use regular milk topped off with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar. It works the same!
- This recipe only uses about half of a normal size can of creamed corn. You can put the rest in the refrigerator for later in the week. Or I have been known to freeze it and then pull it out a few hours before making this recipe again.
- If you like a little kick to your cornbread, you can add 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Depending on your oven, the top of the cornbread can get a bit brown. This is no big deal, but if you don't like the appearance of brown spots, you can cover loosely with a sheet of foil half way through.
- Have leftover cornbread? Make this Crock Pot Chicken Stuffing Dinner.
Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 341mg | Potassium: 103mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 242IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg