20-Minute Ham and Cheddar Chowder
This 20-Minute Ham and Cheddar Chowder recipe goes together in a flash making it the perfect meal for any busy weeknight or when you are trying to use up leftover ham from the holidays.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups diced potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup margarine (half stick)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced ham
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Once boiling, add diced potatoes, onions and salt. Cover and bring back up to a simmer.
Simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Immediately begin the next step below.
In a second saucepan, melt margarine. Add flour and stir to make a roux. Heat while stirring for 30 seconds.
Add milk to the rue while whisking constantly. Heat over medium heat and continue to stir until the sauce begins to thicken.
Add shredded cheese, and stir until completely melted.
Once the potatoes have simmered for 10 minutes; check to make sure they are cooked through by piercing with a fork. DO NOT DRAIN. Add the cheese sauce and ham to the potatoes.
Cook over medium until warmed through; do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe uses two saucepans. It is important to start step 2 with the second saucepan as soon as you beginning boiling the potatoes. This will ensure the two steps finish at the same time.
- DO NOT DRAIN THE EXCESS WATER.
- We used deli ham that was cut into this slices, but any type of ham will do. Leftover ham from Easter or Christmas would be perfect.
- You can adjust the amount of cheesiness by adding more cheese to the white sauce. Feel free to add as much as your cheesy heart desires. You can also change up what type of cheese you like, including sharp cheddar or a blend of many types of cheese. Use up what you have in the refrigerator.
- This recipe is easily doubled or tripled. At Glenwood, we fed 30+ girls, so we always at least quadrupled the recipe.
- Try making our 3 Ingredient Crock Pot Ham and Mustard Brown Sugar Glazed Ham, and you'll have leftovers that are perfect for this soup.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 954mg | Potassium: 540mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 786IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 335mg | Iron: 1mg