Homemade Play Dough
This Homemade Play Dough recipe takes just 10 minutes to make and uses ingredients that are likely already in your pantry. The kids can help make this easy play dough with a little help from an adult to supervise while it's on the stove top.
Servings: 1 ball of dough
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon food coloring of your choice
In a medium saucepan, mix all ingredients.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the dough forms a ball, approximately 5 minutes.
Let cool for a few minutes before using.
Store in an airtight container.
- There's many homemade play dough recipes out there; this is a homemade playdough with cream of tartar. It is also a homemade cooked playdough recipe.
- We've used canning salt instead of iodized salt, and it worked great too.
- Stir the playdough constantly while cooking to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
- Food coloring is optional, but it does make the homemade playdough more fun for kids. Just a heads up, purple playdough tends to turn black instead.
- How do you store homemade playdough? Place the play dough in an airtight resealable bag or container to prevent the playdough from drying out.