Classic Sloppy Joes
These Classic Sloppy Joes are made with just a few simple ingredients and can be served as a sandwich or used as a topping on a baked potato or sweet potato.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 TablespoonS brown sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon dry mustard or substitute regular mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup water
Brown ground beef over medium heat in a flat bottomed skilled.
When the meat is pink and slightly under-cooked, add the onion and celery; finish browning the ground beef.
Drain off grease if needed.
Mix remaining ingredients and add to skillet.
Cook for 20-25 minutes over low heat until sauce thickens, stirring often.
- Substitute ground turkey for ground beef, if desired.
- Drain excess grease from ground beef, if needed.
- Bottled lemon juice works just fine in this old fashioned sloppy joe recipe.
- Regular yellow mustard is an easy substitute for dry mustard, if needed.
- For a cheesy spin, add a slice of your favorite cheese and under the broiled until melted.
- Serve on a toasted bun to keep your bread from getting soggy. To toast a bun, butter both cut sides, and broil on low until lightly browned. Do not walk away or it will burn quickly.
- Make a double batch and serve them again later in the week over a baked potato or sweet potato.
- Try a fun new spin---French Onion Joes.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 241mg | Potassium: 302mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 2mg