Sweet and Sour Coleslaw
This Sweet and Sour Coleslaw is a vinegar-based slaw that is easy to make but patience is required for all the sweet and tangy flavors to emerge.
- 3 lbs cabbage shredded
- 1 large onion shredded
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine cabbage, onion and sugar in a bowl.
Bring the oil, vinegar, celery seeds, dry mustard and salt to a boil.
Pour over the cabbage mixture.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and stir every 2-3 days.
Don't serve until the 4th day.
- It is such a nice change from a mayonnaise-based slaw and it lasts in the fridge for about a month.
- Barbara does suggest you save yourself some work and use a food processor with a shredding attachment for the cabbage and onion. Her Ninja blender has a food processor bowl that she absolutely loves.
- Be sure to stir the slaw every couple of days and do NOT serve it until the fourth day in the refrigerator.
- Substitute vegetable oil for canola oil, if desired.
- Have extra cabbage? Fry it up with bacon in this yummy, old fashioned recipe!