Low Calorie Cabbage Soup
This cabbage soup is a low-calorie option perfect for when you don't want a heavy meal but still want a flavorful, filling dinner.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can green beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 4 cups water (up to 4 cups---see notes below)
- Red pepper flakes to taste
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots and celery.
Saute for 5-7 minutes.
Add garlic and saute for another minute.
Add undrained tomatoes, chicken broth and cabbage.
Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
Add green beans, peas, salt, black pepper, Italian seasonings, water (if needed) and red pepper flakes. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add up to 4 cups water if needed to this fat burning cabbage soup recipe. This all depends on how much cabbage you add to the soup and if you like a soupier soup or more of a stew.
- Italian herbs can be substituted for any other dried herb that you know and love. Or, if you don't have an Italian herb blend on hand, use dried oregano and/or dried basil.
- You can add as little or much of red pepper flakes as you prefer. A little heat is good for your metabolism.
- She also tends to make it in the summer when the garden is in full swing to use up those heads of cabbage that seem to multiply. If you have an extra large head of cabbage like we do from our gardens at times, you may want to use a quarter or a third of the cabbage instead of a full half.
- If there's other veggies you like, add or substitute those in.
- Don't know what do to with the other half of the cabbage? Try our Sweet and Sour Coleslaw or Cheesy Cabbage Casserole or our Skillet Cabbage and Smoked Sausage Dinner.
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 412mg | Potassium: 460mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3165IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2mg