Mom's Wild Rice and Broccoli Soup
If you need an easy dinner option, give Mom's Wild Rice and Broccoli Soup a try. It is full of flavor and quick to put together for a family-pleasing meal.
- 5 ounces box of Uncle Ben's Chicken and Wild Rice Mix
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 2 teaspoons minced dried onion
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups chicken or turkey cooked and cubed
Bring Wild Rice mix (including seasoning packet), broth and water to a boil; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add broccoli, carrot and onion; simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in soup and cream cheese, whisking until cheese melts down.
Add cooked chicken or turkey (can be omitted); heat until meat is warmed through.
- Plan ahead and pull out your frozen broccoli so that it has plenty of time to thaw.
- Save some time and grab the frozen CHOPPED broccoli from the grocer's freezer and skip the chopping when you get home.
- Substitute any Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mixes for chicken-flavored, if needed or desired.
- Do not forget to add the seasoning packet from the Uncle Ben's Chicken and Wild Rice Mix. There are not many other seasonings in the soup so it adds flavor.
- To lighten up the recipe, use low fat or fat free cream cheese, and low sodium cream of chicken soup.
- Leftover turkey from the holidays is great in Uncle Ben's Broccoli Rice Soup instead of chicken, or omit the meat entirely.
- Love soups with Broccoli? Try our Sausage Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 1066mg | Potassium: 541mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2616IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 2mg