Easy Cherry Crisp - An Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp with Fresh or Frozen Cherries
The best part of this Easy Cherry Crisp, aside from the flavor, is that you can make it with a handful of staple ingredients.
- 5 to 6 cups cherries (fresh or frozen) washed and pitted
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbeaten egg
- 1/3 cup butter melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix cherries with 1/4 cup sugar (reserving 1 cup sugar).
Pour cherries into a greased 8x8 inch pan.
Combine flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and unbeaten egg; mix until blended and crumbly.
Sprinkle mixture over cherries. Pour melted butter over the top.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- This old fashioned cherry crisp uses fresh or frozen cherries.
- If using frozen cherries, thaw first and drain off the juices.
- The sugar that's mixed with the cherries may need to be adjusted if the cherries are super tart or super sweet. Add more or less, depending on what your cherries taste like.
- Substitute margarine for butter, if desired.
- The great thing about this Easy Cherry Crisp is, other than the cherries, the rest of the ingredients are ones that most folks always have on hand - flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg and butter!
- Serve this cherry crisp with another one of our Grandma's recipes - her homemade vanilla ice cream! Honestly, just serve this with ANY kind of vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream or a dollop of Cool Whip!
- Love cherries? Try our Cherry Batter Cake, Glazed Cherry Bars or Grandma's Cherry Fluff!