Crock Pot Calico Baked Beans
These Crock Pot Calico Beans are easy to make and full of flavor. With bacon, ground beef and four kinds of beans, it is a hearty side dish.
- 1/2 lb. bacon or jowl cut into chunks
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 oz. can of pork and beans
- 15 oz. can butter beans, drained
- 16 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 15 oz. can lima beans, drained
Brown bacon, ground beef and onions in a pan; remove excess fat if desired.
Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Pour into a crock pot insert; cook on low for 4 hours or until warm.
- Be sure to drain off any excess grease while browning the ground beef and bacon.
- You could swap in and out your favorite beans or whatever you have on hand for this crock pot calico baked bean recipe. We often use white cannellini or Great Northern beans for butter beans.
- For Grandma's calico bean recipe, drain the juices off the beans except for the pork and beans.
- Barbara suggests using smoked, sliced jowl (hers always comes from Rihm Foods) instead of regular bacon for an extra layer of flavor - but regular bacon works just fine!
- Looking for some more ground beef recipes? Try Mom's Hamburger Gravy and our Hamburger Vegetable Soup with V8 juice.