Put this Baked Oatmeal together the night before and pull it out of the refrigerator and bake for a warm, delicious breakfast the entire family will enjoy. Add some golden raisins and a splash of milk and everyone will ask for seconds.
Servings: 6 people
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup sugar
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Either store in refrigerator overnight or place in prepared baking dish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Generously cover a 9-inch square baking pan or a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Add oatmeal mixture to pan and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm and add your choice of toppings like raisins, cinnamon, or a splash of milk.
- Easily modify this recipe by replacing the white sugar with brown sugar or adding simple ingredients like raisins or cinnamon prior to baking.
- Eat it plain or serve with golden raisins sprinkled on top and with a splash of milk or be decadent and go with a splash of cream or half and half.
- Any way you eat it, this Baked Oatmeal is delicious. In the rare case that there are leftovers, Barbara takes it to work for breakfast and eats it cold. The oatmeal should stay good for 4 to 6 days as long as you cover it properly.
- Make this recipe in a 9 inch pan, a 2 Qt. baking dish or a rectangle 2 Qt. baking dish. If you use the rectangle 2 Qt., it may not take quite as long to bake because the layer of oatmeal is thinner.
- You could easily make Baked Oatmeal Bars out of this recipe. Let the baked oatmeal casserole cool completely, and then refrigerate. Once cold, cut into bars or squares. These are perfect served cold. If you want a firmer baked oatmeal bar, then add an extra egg to the recipe.
- Barbara often times reduces the amount of sugar to 1/2 cup. This allows you to add the desired amount of sweetness right before serving. She loves drizzling with real maple syrup. A little goes a long way.
- You do not have to make this a make ahead baked oatmeal recipe. It works just the same if you bake it right away in the morning after preparing.
Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 579mg | Potassium: 247mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 178IU | Calcium: 177mg | Iron: 2mg