Pumpkin Crunch Dessert with Yellow Cake Mix
With a crisp topping and a dollop of whipped cream, this Pumpkin Crunch - made with a cake mix - is a perfect dessert for a crowd.
- 15 oz. pure pumpkin
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 16.5 oz. boxed yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, evaporated milk and cinnamon; pour into pan.
Sprinkle the yellow cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture.
Pour the melted butter evenly over top (if there are any big dry spots, use a little extra melted butter).
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Love pumpkin? Try our favorites including Pumpkin Woopie Pies, Grandma's Pumpkin Chiffon Pie, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, Pumpkin Waffles, Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Pudding and Frozen Pumpkin Dessert.
- It's called Pumpkin Crunch because the butter forms a nice crunchy top over the cake mix.
- Use evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed milk.
- This pumpkin crunch cake uses regular canned pumpkin, not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling.
- The topping of this dessert reminds us a bit of the crunchy topping of our Peach Batter Cake. We know it sounds odd to just sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the wet ingredients, but we promise it works! Just be sure to evenly distribute the melted butter and use a bit more butter if you have large dry spots of cake mix.
- Use a liquid measuring cup to drizzle the butter more evenly.
- You know what would make this even better? Toasted nuts, praline almonds, or these cinnamon glazed pecans sprinkled on top of the dollop of whipped cream!
- This pumpkin crunch with yellow cake mix is versatile. You could swap out different types of boxed cake mix if you prefer. A spiced cake mix would be delicious!
- We are huge fans of using boxed cake mixes in desserts other than cakes. Some of our favorites are Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls, Easy Cake Mix Caramel Bars, and Yellow Cake Mix Gooey Bars.
Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 298mg | Potassium: 27mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 232IU | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 1mg