Grandma's Traditional Pound Cake
Grandma's Traditional Pound Cake is a special recipe that uses butter, margarine and Crisco for a perfectly moist and dense texture. Amateurs and professional bakers alike will fall for this easy recipe. Serve it up for dessert or breakfast, it will be a favorite for all.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Start with a cold oven. Do not preheat!
Cream together butter, margarine, shortening and sugar in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
Mix together flour and baking powder; add to batter alternately with milk and vanilla.
Pour into a well greased and floured Bundt pan. Be sure to grease all the way to the top of the pan and in center to ensure it doesn't stick coming out of the pan.
Put into a cold oven and set at 325 degrees F.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check for doneness; bake up to 15 additional minutes if needed.
Cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting pan.
- This old fashioned pound cake is unique because it uses three types of fat---butter, margarine and Crisco.
- Be sure the butter and margarine are softened to room temperature before creaming.
- Large eggs tend to result in better baking, but medium will do in a pinch.
- For this classic pound cake or any time you are baking, let your eggs sit out and reach room temperature before adding to the batter.
- It is important to start with a cold oven; DO NOT PREHEAT.
- This classic pound cake is dense and moist; try topping with fresh berries or dusting with powdered sugar to take it up a notch.
- We love cakes that can be served for breakfast. Some of our favorites are Grandma's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, Rhubarb Coffee Cake, and Pistachio Coffee Cake.
Calories: 559kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 162mg | Potassium: 90mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 707IU | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 2mg