Fried Potatoes and Smoked Sausage - How to Make Fried Potatoes Sausage and Onions
Fried Potatoes and Smoked Sausage is a classic southern dinner with endless options for customizing to the liking of your family. Here's some easy steps for how to make fried potatoes, sausage and onions.
Servings: 6 people
- 4 - 5 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 14 ounces smoked sausage, diced
- 1 onions diced
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Wash, peel and dice potatoes. Cover with cold water and salt (1 teaspoon). Let sit for 30 minutes. (This step can be omitted.) Drain well.
Melt butter in a large skillet or cast iron pan.
Add drained potatoes, diced sausage, diced onions and garlic. Fry over medium heat, stirring often until cooked through and lightly golden brown. See notes.
Season to taste with seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Watch the temperature of your pan. If it gets too hot, you'll burn your onions and garlic which gives an off-flavor.
- To speed cooking time, cover the pan for a little bit while cooking. This helps to steam the potatoes; however, stir often and watch closely so they don't burn.
- Soaking the potatoes will help remove the starch and allow them to cook more evenly. If you're crunched for time, you can omit this step.
- Use your favorite variety of smoked sausage, polish sausage or kielbasa.
- Instead of dicing potatoes and sausage, you can slice them thin, if desired.
- If desired, substitute olive oil for butter.
- Onions and garlic are optional, but very much recommended.
- Substitute regular salt for seasoned salt, if needed.
- Make this your own by adding a number of optional ingredients such as cabbage, green beans, peppers, and/or corn.
- For a similar recipe featuring cabbage and carrots, check out this recipe.