Amaretto Poke Cake
This Amaretto Coffee Cake isn't just for Amaretto lovers. It's a moist cake that pairs great with coffee for breakfast or makes the most delicious dessert for all ages. It features a decadent Amaretto glaze that is poured over an amped up box cake mix.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time55 mins
Course: Breakfast, Dessert
Keyword: Amaretto Cake, Amaretto Poke Cake, Homemade Amaretto Cake
- 1 16.5 oz. butter pecan cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz). box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup Amaretto
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, water, vanilla and almond extract on high for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pan; cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Immediately poke holes all over the cake.
For glaze, add butter, Amaretto and sugar to a small saucepan.
Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until a rolling boil. Boil for 2 minutes; remove from heat. Immediately pour over hot cake.
If needed, pour the excess glaze back into the saucepan and repeat until all the glaze has been absorbed.
Note: By now the cook should have consumed another cup of Amaretto and should be licking up the spilt glaze!
- Use your favorite box cake mix for this Homemade Amaretto Cake. This recipe calls for Butter Pecan cake mix, and I've used yellow cake mix and golden cake mix and which are both great. A spice cake mix would be fantastic or you can lighten it up with an Angel Food Cake Mix.
- Be sure to use instant vanilla pudding---not the cook and serve type. This is the secret to the moist texture.
- I use nonstick cooking spray to coat the cake pan. You can most certainly use softened butter, margarine or shortening.
- Use your favorite chopped nut for this homemade amaretto cake. I've used almonds, pecans and walnuts. You could leave these out too if desired, or you can mix in additional nuts into the cake mix.
- For the glaze, use butter or margarine.
- Use whatever you have to poke holes in the cake (a wooden or metal skewer, straw, back of a spoon, etc). When you think you have enough holes, keep poking!
- Love Amaretto? Try Amaretto Pina Colada, Amaretto French Toast and Amaretto Chicken and Rice.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 303mg | Potassium: 48mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 236IU | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1mg