Baked Eggs and Asparagus
Baked Eggs and Asparagus with Parmesan cheese is an economical meal option for breakfast, lunch or brunch. Made in a large skillet, this old fashioned asparagus meal is quick and easy. Simply adjust the cooking time to get eggs cooked to your liking.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon dried onion seasoning or 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
Wash and dry asparagus; cut into 1 inch pieces, discarding woody ends. Dice onion.
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; sauté asparagus and onion until asparagus is crisp-tender, approximately 3 - 4 minutes.
Pour in water; add salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium low heat for 5-10 minutes or until fork tender (do not overcook).
Remove cover from skillet. Create wells in the asparagus mixture; break eggs into a small bowl, one at a time, and slide out into the wells (try not to break yolks).
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, or until the eggs are set as you prefer.
Eat on its own or serve over buttered toast.
- Use more or less eggs than six, if desired.
- Substitute butter or coconut oil for olive oil, if needed.
- Do not overcook the asparagus to prevent mushy asparagus. Sauté until crisp, and then simmer until fork tender. The Baked Asparagus and Eggs will continue to cook in the oven.
- Grated or Shredded Parmesan cheese can be used. I typically have the cheaper, grated version in the refrigerator so I use it.
- Use less or more Parmesan cheese to your own taste preference.
- Don't like your egg yolks runny? Just modify the cooking time for your favorite style of eggs - runny, partially runny or completely cooked.
- Love old fashioned recipes? Try our Creamed Asparagus recipe.