Grandma's Homemade Ketchup
Grandma's Homemade Ketchup can be made with fresh tomatoes and onions or canned tomato juice for a condiment that will remind you of the good old days. With a mixture of cinnamon and ground cloves, this catsup - as Grandma called it - is delicious on everything.
Servings: 4 quarts
- 2 gallons tomato juice
- 2 onions shredded
- 8 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons ground cloves
- 3 cups vinegar
- 8 cups sugar
- 6 Tablespoons cornstarch
Cook tomato juice and onions in a large stockpot over medium-low heat until onions are translucent, approximately 20 minutes.
Run juice through a sieve; discarding onions. Add juice back to the stockpot.
Add salt, cinnamon, cloves, and vinegar. Boil over medium heat until reduced by one-third (1/3).
Mix together sugar and cornstarch and add to the stockpot. Turn down heat to low, whisking constantly until thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
Store in refrigerator.
- Isn't it cool that old fashioned ketchup is really a gourmet ketchup?
- The distinct flavors of this homemade catsup are ground cloves and ground cinnamon.
- You can use fresh garden tomatoes or take a shortcut by starting with canned tomato juice.
- This homemade catsup stores great in the refrigerator.
- Try using the leftover homemade catsup in pulled pork like this Crock Pot Sweet Pulled Pork Recipe.