Old-Fashioned Cheesy Cabbage Casserole
This Old-Fashioned Cheesy Cabbage Casserole recipe is a creamy, cheesy side dish with a crunchy topping that everyone will enjoy.
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 - 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 10.5 oz. cans cream of celery soup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Put a stick or margarine or butter in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Put in oven until melted. Remove carefully.
Sprinkle cornflakes over butter. Add cabbage. (Cabbage should fill the pan and will cook down.)
Warm celery soup, mayonnaise and milk in microwave for 3 minutes, stirring every minute.
Pour mixture over cabbage. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and crushed cornflakes.
Bake for 45 minutes.
- To save yourself some labor, use the grater disk on your food processor to shred the cabbage. With the food processor, you can grate up a cabbage in under 2 minutes.
- If you grate the cabbage into really fine pieces, you may need to adjust the cooking time because it will become tender more quickly. This could also change the texture.
- The creamy texture comes from a combination of cream of celery soup, mayonnaise and milk. The perfect cheesy flavor is a result of 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, not too much and not too little.
- Feel free to swap out the cream of celery soup for another canned soup like cream of mushroom or cream of chicken if that's all you have on hand.
- Cabbage is a great ingredient to use year round. It's usually inexpensive and one large head can go a long ways. During the summer months, it's easy to grow your own or can be found at reasonable prices at your local farmers' market.
- Try our Sweet and Sour Coleslaw, Skillet Smoked Sausage and Cabbage or Low Calorie Cabbage Soup.
Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 602mg | Potassium: 305mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1342IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 176mg | Iron: 18mg