Cheesy Summer Squash and Zucchini Casserole - An Easy Cheesy Squash Casserole
Cheesy Summer Squash and Zucchini Casserole is a great use of all of the summer garden bounty. This easy cheesy squash casserole has a buttery, crunchy top and a cheesy filling. You can use yellow squash or zucchini or a combination of both to make this perfect side dish.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 pounds 4-6 cups summer squash or zucchini (a combination can be used)
- 1 Tablespoon onion flakes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups crushed crackers
- 1 stick melted butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Wash and dice summer squash/zucchini. Boil in salted water until fork tender. Drain well.
Combine drained squash, onion flakes, cheese and eggs.
Pour into prepared 13 x 9-inch pan.
Spread the crushed crackers over the casserole.
Pour the melted butter over top the cracker crumbs.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- This cheesy zucchini casserole uses a 2-step cooking process; first you boil the diced squash in salted water, and then you assemble the casserole and bake in the oven.
- You can use all zucchini or all squash in this baked squash casserole if you'd like or use a combination of the two.
- Substitute fresh, diced onion for onion flakes, if desired.
- Any type of crackers can be used for the crunchy topping. We typically make this squash casserole with Ritz. 1 1/2 cups is approximately one sleeve of butter crackers.
- The melted butter and cracker topping makes a delicious crunchy topping. We use a similar concept in 4 Ingredient Broccoli Casserole. Kids go nuts for it!
- We typically make this in the summer when we have squash coming out of our ears, but you can find squash all year long at the grocery store.