Classic Macaroni Salad
This Classic Macaroni Salad is the perfect side dish for a summer cookout, family reunion or even a tailgate. Along with the traditional ingredients, the dressing for this version of macaroni salad includes sweetened condensed milk. This is definitely a recipe your friends and family will be asking for after they taste it.
- 16 oz. macaroni pasta
- 3 large carrots grated
- 1 onion diced small
- 1 green pepper diced small
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Cook macaroni according to package directions to al dente. Drain.
Mix together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, sweetened condensed milk and salt and pepper; add to macaroni and stir well.
Add in carrots, onion and green pepper. Mix until completely incorporated.
Refrigerate for a minimum 4 hours before eating.
For some more pitch-in recipes, try our Old Fashioned Pea Salad, Cherry Fluff and Ranch Cauliflower Salad.
- Use sweetened condensed milk for this recipe, not to be confused with evaporated milk.
- Red, yellow or orange peppers could be substituted for green peppers, if desired.
- Be sure to refrigerate this old fashioned macaroni salad for a minimum of 4 hour to let the flavors marinate together before serving.
- If the pasta salad seems dry, add a bit more mayonnaise to loosen it up.
- Want a pasta salad that can serve as a main dish? Try our Tuna Pasta Salad.