Greek Noodles - A Greek Noodles with Cheese Recipe
Greek Noodles are a rich and decadent macaroni and cheese recipe that is sure to be at hit at your house. With butter, milk, heavy whipping cream and half and half, there's no doubt that this Greek Noodles with Cheese recipe is divine.
Servings: 16 servings
- 16 ounces mostaccioli pasta
- 1 stick butter 1/2 cup
- 8 ounces Parmesan cheese grated (from jar)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (see notes)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Use stick of butter to grease bottom and sides of 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle bottom of the dish generously with some of the parmesan cheese (approximately 1/3 of the 8-ounce jar).
Cook mostaccioli pasta noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
In a very large saucepan, heat remaining butter, milk, heavy whipping cream and half and half. Cook on medium low heat (without boiling) until it thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Use the wooden spoon to stir often.
Add drained, cooked noodles and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
Pour 1/2 of the noodles and sauce into prepared baking dish. Top with 1/2 of the remaining grated parmesan cheese and all of the mozzarella cheese.
Pour the remaining noodles and sauce over top. Sprinkle with the remaining grated Parmesan cheese. (see notes about additional mozzarella).
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Let sit at room temperature at least 10 minutes before serving to let it set up.
- Penne or ziti are good substitutes if you can't find mostaccioli noodles.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream equals 8 ounces or 1/2 pint.
- 2 cups half and half equals 16 ounces or 1 pint.
- Use whole milk, I mean you're using heavy whipping cream and half and half already, so what's the point in using skim milk?
- For the grated parmesan cheese, use the green containers that you buy on the shelf at the grocery store or here on amazon.
- If you love extra cheese, add an extra cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Margarine could be substituted for butter, if needed.
- Be sure to let this Greek mac and cheese rest for a minimum of 10 minutes before serving. This will help it set up.
- This Greek noodle casserole retains heat well making it a great option for the holidays. Bake it before you leave, cover tightly with foil and serve when you get to your destination.
- This would go great served with Classic Beef Brisket.