Slow Cooker Bratwurst Casserole - A Brat Stew Recipe in the Crock Pot
Slow Cooker Bratwurst Casserole is a tasty brat stew recipe with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and brats stewed in a tasty tomato sauce. This is a great way to use raw, uncooked brats other than on the grill.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 rib celery, diced
- 5 carrots, diced
- 4 - 5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 package uncooked brats (raw)
- 3.5 cups V8 juice
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons cold water
- salt and pepper, to taste
Dice onions, celery, carrots and potatoes. Add to crock pot insert and stir.
Arrange uncooked brats on top of veggies in crock pot insert.
Pour V8 juice over top.
Cover and cook on high for 4 - 5 hours (low for 6 - 7 hour) or until brats are cooked through.
Remove brats from crock pot, slice, and add back to crock pot.
Combine cornstarch and cold water, stir into stew.
Cover and cook on high for an additional 30 minutes or until thickened.
- This brat casserole starts with uncooked brats.
- Leave the potato peels on the potatoes, if desired. Just be sure to wash well.
- Regular tomato juice or Bloody Mary Mix could be used instead of v8.
- Substitute flavored bratwurst for original, if desired.
- To make this more of a bratwurst soup, add more v8 to the recipe to thin it out.
- This tastes great as leftovers; consider making it ahead and serving later.
- Love stew? Try Mom's Classic Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker.