Old Fashioned Tomato Gravy - A Tomato Gravy Recipe with Milk
Old Fashioned Tomato Gravy is an Amish recipe that gets served over toast, biscuits, crackers or fried potatoes. This Tomato Gravy Recipe calls for tomato juice, cream, milk and sugar.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cream (heavy or half and half)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
Place tomato juice and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour and salt.
Add cream, and whisk until smooth.
Pour milk into cream mixture, and mix well.
Add cream mixture to boiling juice.
Heat until boiling and thick, whisking constantly.
Serve over toast, biscuits, rice, crackers or fried potatoes.
- Tomato gravy tastes similar to a cream-based tomato soup recipe.
- Heavy cream or half and half can be used for the cream ingredient.
- Whole milk works best for a thicker southern tomato gravy recipe.
- Amish Tomato Gravy can be served over toast points, bread, crackers, rice, fried potatoes, etc.
- Substitute a can of diced tomatoes with the juices or 5-6 fresh tomatoes for tomato juice if desired.
- Sugar is an optional ingredient, though highly recommended.
- Love gravy recipes? Try our SOS- also known as Easy Chipped Beef Gravy.