Grandma's Pumpkin Bread - A Moist Pumpkin Bread Recipe (with nuts, raisins or chocolate chips)
Grandma's Pumpkin Bread is a moist pumpkin bread recipe that can be made plain, with nuts, raisins or chocolate chips. This easy to follow recipe gives options for one pumpkin loaf or two depending on whether or not you want to use an entire can of pumpkin.
Servings: 1 loaf
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in 1/3 cup water (water drained and discarded)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5 inch bread pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine pumpkin, sugar, oil and eggs and mix well.
Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
Add sifted, dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until smooth.
Optional step: add in one or more of the optional additions. If adding raisins, be sure to drain off soaking water first.
Pour into prepared loaf pan.
Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Ingredient Amounts for 2 Loaves (using 1 whole can of pumpkin)
15 ounces canned pumpkin
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread: add 2 cups chocolate chips.
Pumpkin Raisin Bread: soak 1 cup raisins in 2/3 cups water. Drain water before adding raisins to batter.
Pumpkin Nut Bread: add 1 cup chopped nuts to the batter.
- Use canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Pumpkin bread can be made plain or add chocolate chips, nuts and/or raisins for new variations.
- If you do not have allspice or nutmeg, omit it, and add more cinnamon.
- Substitute equal amounts pumpkin pie spice of the total quantities of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice if desired.
- To easily remove pumpkin bread from the bread pan, line it with parchment paper that hangs over the long side of the pan as handles. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray including the parchment paper.