Old Fashioned Macaroni and Tomatoes - Grandma's Macaroni with Tomatoes Recipe
Old Fashioned Macaroni and Tomatoes takes you back to your childhood. With a just a few simple ingredients such as canned tomatoes, elbow macaroni, sugar, salt and butter, you can recreate Grandma's Macaroni with Tomatoes Recipe.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 28 ounces canned, whole tomatoes (with the juices)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons butter
Cook elbow macaroni in boiling, salted water according to package instructions. Drain well.
In a large skillet, pour in tomatoes, breaking them up in bite-sized chunks using a meat chopper or your clean hands.
Add cooked macaroni, sugar and salt; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Once simmering, lower heat and add butter, stirring until melted.
Taste, and add black pepper and additional salt if desired. Tastes great served with buttered bread.
- Southern Tomatoes and Macaroni is a quick dinner, coming together in approximately 20 minutes.
- Measure the 2 cups elbow macaroni raw and uncooked.
- I used canned, whole tomatoes that I broke up using my hands and a meat chopper. Substitute canned, diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes if desired.
- The original recipe calls for 2 tablespoons butter to be stirring in at the end. More can be added, if desired. You can't go wrong with more butter!
- Taste before serving, and add additional salt and black pepper, if needed.
- My family eats this just as I imagine my Grandpa would, with white bread and butter!
- Adjust this recipe to your family's personal taste buds by adding garlic powder, onions, tomato sauce, Italian seasonings, bacon grease, etc.
- Looking for a meatier Tomato and Macaroni recipe? Try our amazing Goulash recipe.