Old Fashioned Stuffed Bell Peppers - A Stuffed Pepper with Cooked Rice and Ground Beef
Old Fashioned Stuffed Bell Peppers is a simple stuffed pepper recipe with cooked rice and ground beef. With only five ingredients, including a simple sauce of tomato sauce, this basic recipe is anything but simple in flavor.
Servings: 4 peppers
- 3 - 4 bell peppers
- 1/2 pound raw ground beef
- 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; spray a baking dish large enough to hold peppers upright with nonstick cooking spray. (I like to use a round dish.)
Cut the tops off the peppers, remove seeds and wash and dry peppers.
Combine raw hamburger, cooked rice, diced onions, egg, and pinch of salt and pepper.
Stuff peppers with hamburger mixture, leaving a little room at the top for sauce.
Place peppers in prepared dish; pour tomato sauce into the top of each pepper.
Bake for 1 hour.
- I used green peppers but any color bell peppers would work.
- There's no need to boil the peppers; instead, just cut off the top, remove the seeds and wash and dry the pepper.
- Cooked rice is used; go ahead and use leftover cooked rice if you have it.
- The ground beef is raw; do not precook.
- Depending on the size of the bell peppers, you may need 3 to 4. I had extra large ones, so I had enough filling for 3.
- Pick out a baking dish that allows the peppers to stand upright without too much extra room. I like to use a tall, round dish. If needed, slice off a tiny bit of the bottom of the pepper to allow the pepper to sit upright.
- Leave a little room at the top of the pepper after filling with the ground beef mixture for the sauce.
- Love peppers? Try this easy dinner recipe featuring bell peppers, Southern Sausage and Pintos.