Weeknight Chili in a Skillet - A Recipe for Chili Served Over Rice
Weeknight Chili in a Skillet, a recipe for chili served over rice will satisfy the hunger of the whole family without hurting your wallet.
Servings: 8 people
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 15 ounces canned, diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 15 ounces chili beans, do not drain
- Cooked White Rice, optional
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, optional
Cook ground pork sausage in a large skillet. Once cooked, remove to a paper-towel lined plate. If there's an excess amount of grease left, remove from pan leaving 2-3 tablespoons.
Sauté diced onion and peppers in grease left from ground sausage until softened.
Add cooked sausage, and undrained tomatoes and chili beans to the pan with onion and peppers. Stir.
Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until thickened.
Eat as is or serve over cooked white rice. Top with shredded cheese, if desired.
- Use mild, medium or hot ground pork sausage.
- Red, yellow or orange peppers can be used instead of green peppers, if desired.
- For some extra heat, add a diced jalapeno or ground chili powder to the Chili Skillet recipe.
- Do not drain the diced, canned tomatoes or the chili beans.
- This would taste amazing with some cornbread. Try our favorite recipe, Maryann's Sweet Cornbread.
- Skillet Chili can be eaten as is or to make it stretch farther, serve over cooked white rice.