Creamed Asparagus on Toast
Creamed Asparagus on Toast is an old fashioned creamed asparagus recipe with hard boiled eggs.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Buttered Toast Points
Par-cook asparagus in boiling water for 3-4 minutes or until crisp tender.
Melt butter in large skillet; add drained asparagus and chopped hard boiled eggs.
Add half of the milk to the skillet, and bring to a low simmer.
Add cornstarch to the remaining cold milk and stir to make a slurry.
Add milk slurry to the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
Season with salt and black pepper.
Serve over buttered toast points.
- I love this over buttered toast points, but it's also delicious over hot biscuits.
- Just par-boil the asparagus when boiling so that it still has a bite to it. It will continue to cook in the cream sauce. You don't want mushy asparagus in the end.
- Hard-boiled eggs can be omitted, if desired.
- Season generously with salt and pepper. If not, your asparagus in cream sauce will be bland.
- What to serve with creamed asparagus? Serve it as a main dish over toast or try eating it along side a ham steak for a perfect dinner.
- Love asparagus? Try this perfect microwave version.