Grandma's Strawberry Pie
Grandma's Strawberry Pie is an old fashioned strawberry pie recipe using fresh strawberries. Learn how to make strawberry pie filling from scratch with this easy recipe.
Servings: 8 pieces
- 1 to 1 1/2 quarts strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- pre-baked pie crust (regular or graham cracker crust)
Cut strawberries into large pieces; set aside.
In a medium saucepan, bring water, sugar and cornstarch to a full boil; whisking constantly.
Boil until the mixture turns clear in color; remove from heat.
Stir in almond extract and red food coloring. Let sit for 20 minutes to cool.
Pour over strawberries and stir. Pour into pre-baked pie crust.
Refrigerate for approximately 2 hours before serving. Eat the same day, if possible.
- Use fresh strawberries in this from scratch strawberry pie filling recipe.
- I like to cut the strawberries in large pieces; feel free to cut them smaller, if desired.
- Whisk constantly while boiling, and when the filling becomes clear, remove from the heat.
- Almond extract gives this homemade strawberry pie filling amazing flavor. Omit it if desired, or substitute vanilla extract.
- I serve this in both pre-baked traditional pie crusts and graham cracker crusts. Both are tasty.
- This from scratch strawberry pie filling is perfect served over shortcakes or biscuits too.
- This pie filling is best served the same day; the strawberries begin to turn darker in color and slightly mushy if left overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Love strawberries? Try Grandma's Strawberry Freezer Jam.