Butterscotch Sour Cream Pie
Butterscotch Sour Cream Pie is an old fashioned butterscotch pie recipe topped with a meringue. The sweet, creamy filling is baked directly in the pie crust in the oven.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pie crust
- 3 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 6 Tablespoons white granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Beat egg yolks. Add sour cream and combine.
In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and flour.
Add brown sugar mixture to the sour cream mixture and beat until combined.
Add melted butter and vanilla. Stir.
Pour into unbaked pie pastry crust.
Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees F; reduce temperature to 350 degrees F, and cook for an additional 30 minutes. If the pie crust begins to brown too much, tent with foil.
Let cool completely before topping with meringue.
Meringue Instructions: (see tips in the post)
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Fold in sugar gradually by hand.
Spread over cooled pie crust sealing the meringue by spreading all the way to the crust.
Brown at 350 degrees F for 18 minutes.
- This pie is better served cold or room temperature than warm. The butterscotch filling sets up to creamy perfection.
- I tend to use either a frozen pie crust or refrigerated pie crust dough. Follow the instructions on the package before filling. Or, use your favorite homemade pie crust recipe.
- The baking process for this old fashioned Amish butterscotch pie is a 2-step process: the first 10 minutes of baking, the oven is set at 425 degrees F, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Let the pie cool before topping the with meringue.
- See our whole list of tips in the post for how to make properly make a meringue topping.
- Love meringue pies? Try Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 189mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 320IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 1mg