Old Fashioned Rhubarb Cake
Old Fashioned Rhubarb Cake can be made with fresh or frozen rhubarb. This rhubarb recipe with sour cream has a cinnamon sugar topping.
Servings: 16 people
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rhubarb, frozen or fresh (drain well, if frozen)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped or your favorite nut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream together sugar, sour cream and egg until smooth.
Sift flour, baking soda and salt; add to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Stir in rhubarb. (If using frozen rhubarb, be sure to thaw and drain well first.)
Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
Combine brown sugar and chopped nuts; sprinkle evenly over cake.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Use fresh or frozen rhubarb.
- If using frozen rhubarb, thaw completely and drain before adding to the rhubarb sour cream cake batter.
- To lighten up this rhubarb coffee cake, use low fat or non fat sour cream.
- Use your favorite chopped nuts; we typically use pecans or walnuts.
- Eat for breakfast with coffee or as a dessert.
- Love rhubarb? Check out all Grandma's favorites!
Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 103mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 122IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1mg